Sunday, May 12, 2013

Birthdays and Accomplishments

Birthdays and New Years, birthdays and New Years. Barring major events, are two consistent times when people ask themselves "What have I done with my life?" It's a question that does not often have a pleasant response and can cause a person to re-evaluate their life.


It's hard to keep track of all the changes happening around us, to us, and by us. Months, and at times years pass by just going through the daily grind. With this in my I decided to make an Accomplishment Time Log to detail things that I, well, accomplished during the day. It's a reminder to do at least one thing that I can be proud of everyday and if too many days go by with nothing then I know something needs to change.

This is different from a regular time log where a person details everything thing they do in a day. The reason why I'm omitting a lot of details is because I know I waste a lot of time. Those large amount of blank spaces? Yea, watching t.v., surfing the internet, reading manga, listening to music, and playing videos games most likely. I don't need to wonder where the time went, it's most likely one of those.

Now, it's been a year since my 23rd birthday. What have I accomplished? In chronological order:
  • Got a full time job
  • Moved to Boston
  • First time renting an apartment 
  • Caught a process oversight in a Fortune 100 pharmacy company 
  • Changed role within company (Recruiter to Sourcer)
  • Improved a pipe-lining process at work
It's been a better year than I thought.

Now, I don't believe in 3 or 5 year plans, I don't really believe in 1 year plans. Things change, and they can change fast. If you're not where you thought you would be 5 years ago does that mean you're a failure? Of course not. So with this in mind, what do I want to accomplish in the next month, or in this case by the end of May.

May Goals:
  • Start a blog to document my coding (check!)
  • Complete and document at least 7 Ruby lessons from Code Academy
  • Complete a coding challenge from a coding school
 Let us revisit these goals next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment